Kansas Title Processing Information

I've got the title in front of me now where do I sign?:

Release ownership by signing on line one on the back of the title. If the vehicle is, or was financed, the lienholder’s name appears in the legal owner section and their release with counter signature is required the face of the title, line 1. 

You can notify the state by surrendering your license plates to your county treasurer or if you prefer, by mailing a Notification of Sale form along with a $10 filing fee (check only) to:

  • Department of Revenue
  • Division of Vehicles
  • 915 SW Harrison
  • Topeka, Kansas 66626-0001

I'm the registered owner but I can't find my title:


Duplicate Title: The registered owner can apply for a duplicate title if the original title has been mutilate, lost, stolen, countered, has been subjected to fraud or has become illegible. In order to complete the duplicate title form you will need two notarized generic POA's or 2 Secure POA's signed by all owners listed on the title ( one to apply for the duplicate title and one to sign the duplicate title when it is received from the DMV ). You will also need a lien release if applicable.

 Abandonment Process:  IAA must run a VIN check, do certified mailings to all registered owners and lien holders, publish the intention of the lien sale in newspaper, run a MVE through the KS Highway Patrol, and apply for a storage lien affidavit. All of the above paperwork is sent to the DMV for issuance of a salvage title. This process is only available to vehicles that have been in inventory at IAA for 6 months.

If you want us to take care of the duplicate title process along with your car donation we can. You will just need to fill out the forms below and hold onto them until the tow agent comes to pickup your vehicle. 

Two Notarized Generic POAs or 2 Secure POAs signed by all owners listed on the title (one to apply for the duplicate title and one to sign the duplicate title when it is received from the DMV) and a Lien Release (if applicable).


The owner of the vehicle is deceased:

In the case of no probate proceedings: If there is no will present, you'll need a certified copy of the death certificate and a Descendants Affidavit (TR-83a), and a signed title by the heir.

 In the case of a probated estate: You'll need a certificate copy of the death certificate, a copy of the court order and a properly endorsed title by the executor of the estate. 

The vehicle was abandoned on my property:

In most cases we can still pick up the vehicle, if we need paperwork from you it will be in the form of your signature on a short document describing the location where the vehicle was left and your request for us to remove it.

You can also obtain the legal ownership of the vehicle by filling out the Abandoned Vehicle Affidavit form.