Texas Title Processing Information

Click here to return to Heritage for the Blind

I've got the title in front of me now where do I sign?:

Release ownership by signing on line 3 on the back of the title in the assignment of title section. If the vehicle is, or was financed, the lienholderís name appears in the legal owner section then the lien holder must sign and date the lien release section on the front of the title. 

 In order to release the liability of the vehicle you must notify the Texas Department of Transportation within 30 days of the sale. You can do this in person or you can submit a vehicle transfer notification online or you can mail a form to TxDOT Vehicle Titles and Registration, P.O. Box 26417, Austin, TX 78755-0417

I'm the registered owner but I can't find my title:

Duplicate Title: The registered owner of the vehicle can apply for a duplicate title if the original has been lost, stolen, destroyed or has become illegible. They will need to complete an Application for a Certificate Copy of Title VTR-34 and send it by mail or submit it in person to the local TxDOT. You will need to include an ID and $2 mail-in fee by check, cashier's check or money order (cash will not be accepted) payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you want to submit it in person simply go to your local Texas DOT, submit an Application for a Certificate Copy of Title VTR-34 and provide a valid photo ID and $5.45 fee by check, cash or money order (no debit or credit card accepted). An agent of the owner or lienholder must also provide a letter of signature authority on original letterhead, a business card or a copy of the agent's employee ID.

If you want to donate your car and you don't want to go through the process of obtaining a duplicate title we can take care of it for you. You will need a completed Application for Certified Copy of Title (VTR-34), a copy of the your driver license, a POA from each owner listed on the title, and a lien release, if applicable. If there is a lien on the title, the VTR-34 must be signed by the lien holder and include a copy of the signing agentís drivers license and a business card or letter of authorization from the lien holder for the signing agent. When you have filled out the forms just hang onto them until the towing agent comes by to pick up the vehicle.

The owner of the vehicle is deceased:

In the case of no probate proceedings: the ownership of the vehicle transfers to the surviving spouse or next of kin. We require a copy of the death certificate, a notarized Affidavit of Heirship (VTR-262), properly signed by the spouse or next of kin, and a properly signed title by the spouse or next of kin. If the title is not available, we can still obtain a Salvage or Non-Repairable Title.

 In the case of a probated estate: You'll need a certified copy of the Letters of Administration, issued by
the probate court (with original seal), appointing an executor or administrator of the deceasedís estate and a properly signed title by the executor (or administrator) of the estate.

The vehicle was abandoned on my property:

In most cases we can still pick up the vehicle, if we need paperwork from you it will be in the form of your signature on a short document describing the location where the vehicle was left and your request for us to remove it.