Missouri Title Processing Information

Click here to return to Heritage for the Blind

I've got the title in front of me now where do I sign?:

Release ownership by signing on line one on the back of the title. If the vehicle is, or was financed, the lienholder’s name appears in the legal owner section and their release with counter signature is required on line 1 of the Lienholder's Information in section 5. The signature must match the printed name of the front. 

You'll need to notify the Department of Revenue (DOR) within 30 days of your vehicle being sold. Failure to do so can result in a $200 fine. To comply with the state requirement simply mail either a Notice of Sale or a Missouri Bill of Sale to the address below.

  • Missouri Department of Revenue
  • Motor Vehicle Bureau
  • P.O. Box 3050
  • Jefferson City, Missouri 65105


I'm the registered owner but I can't find my title:

The registered owner can apply for a duplicate title if the original has been lost, stolen, mutilated or has become illegible by submitting the Application for Missouri Title and License (DOR-108) form. If there's an active lien on the vehicle you will need to submit a notarized Lien Release (DOR-4809). You can submit these forms to the following address along with the $8.50 duplicate title fee and a $2.50 processing fee. 

301 West High Street, Room 370, P.O. Box 100, Jefferson City, MO, 65105-0100

If you are not able to attain a negotiable title or the paperwork for a duplicate title, IAA can obtain a Salvage title through the Missouri abandonment process. With a letter of request from the Provider that includes current owner and lien holder information, IAA will start by sending certified letters (to all owners and lien holders). They will then schedule an appointment with the Highway Patrol to do an inspection on the vehicle. After a 30 day waiting period they'll submit an application for title along with copies of the certified mailings and Hwy Patrol inspection to the DMV. This option can only be used if a claim settlement has been paid on the vehicle and the vehicle owner has a MO address (vehicle can be titled in another state). This option is not available for watercraft.

If you want to donate your vehicle, but you don't have the title and you don't want to get it, we can take care of the process for you. All we will need is for you to fill out the forms below and hold onto them until the tow agent comes to pickup your vehicle. From there we will handle the duplicate title processing. 

A MO Secure POA (form 5086 or form 3020S) signed by all owners and a notarized General POA (form 4054) signed by all owners (one to apply for the duplicate title and one to sign the duplicate title when it is received from the DMV).

Lien Release (if applicable).

The owner of the vehicle is deceased:

In the case of no probate proceedings and has left behind a surviving spouse: The MO form 2305, Affidavit to Establish Title to Exempt Property, can be used. This form must be notarized and is used to transfer ownership to the surviving spouse or children. In addition to this form, we would also need a certified copy of the death certificate or obituary for the deceased, a properly signed title by the surviving spouse, and a notarized General POA (form 4054) signed by the surviving spouse.

 In the case of a probated estate: You'll need a certified copy of the probate papers from the court, a certified copy of the death certificate or obituary for the deceased, and a properly signed title by the executor of the estate (a POA can not be used).

The vehicle was abandoned on my property:

In most cases we can still pick up the vehicle, if we need paperwork from you it will be in the form of your signature on a short document describing the location where the vehicle was left and your request for us to remove it.

In the case of an abandoned vehicle in it is possible for us to conduct something called a lien sale in which all previously registered owners are contacted to claim the vehicle, and if none move forward we are able to proceed through legal channels to obtain the vehicle title.