Indiana Title Processing Information

Click here to return to Heritage for the Blind

I've got the title in front of me now where do I sign?:

Release ownership by completing section 4 and signing on the front of the title. If the vehicle is, or was financed, the lienholder’s name appears in the lien release section and their release with counter signature is required on line 1. The lien holders signature is only required if there is an active lien on the vehicle. 

You do not have to surrender the sold vehicle's plates or registration certificate to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), but it is a good idea to keep a bill of sales in your records in order to protect yourself from possible liability claims between the time you sell the vehicle the new owner switches the registration over. 

I'm the registered owner but I can't find my title:

Duplicate Title: The registered owner(s) of a vehicle can apply for a duplicate title if the previous one has been lost stolen destroyed or countered. To do so you can either download the Application for Certificate of Title - State Form 205 which must be mail to the address below with a check or money order for $9, payable to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles. You can also obtain a duplicate title by visiting any Indiana license branch or create a myBMV account and submit an application online. There is a $9 duplicate title fee. 

  Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
1629 Eastway Drive
     Crawfordsville, IN 47933

Court Ordered Title: If negotiable documents are not forthcoming, IAA may obtain a Court Ordered title in the Provider’s name. This is a lengthy process and requires written notification on Provider letterhead
requesting a Court Ordered title.. This title will be branded salvage.

The owner of the vehicle is deceased:

In the case of a one owner death: You'll need a copy of the death certificate, a Small Estate Affidavit (TM-
123), and a properly signed title by the next of kin.

 In the case of a probated estate: You'll need a copy of the court probate papers, a copy of the death certificate, and a properly signed title by the Executor of the Estate.

The vehicle was abandoned on my property:

In most cases we can still pick up the vehicle, if we need paperwork from you it will be in the form of your signature on a short document describing the location where the vehicle was left and your request for us to remove it.